July 2, 2020 |
CNBC – Herman Cain, the Godfather’s Pizza magnate who twice ran for president and was briefly considered as a potential Federal Reserve Board nominee under President Donald Trump, was hospitalized Wednesday and is being treated for the coronavirus.
Cain, 74, was told Monday that he had tested positive for the disease, according to a statement posted to his official Twitter account. By Wednesday, he “had developed symptoms serious enough that he required hospitalization,” the statement said.
Cain is currently being treated at an Atlanta-area hospital, the statement said, where he is “resting comfortably” and is “awake and alert.”
On Wednesday – two days after Cain was said to have tested positive – he tweeted his apparent support for South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem’s decision not to require mask-wearing or social distancing during Trump’s upcoming visit to Mount Rushmore.
“Masks will not be mandatory for the event, which will be attended by President Trump,” Cain tweeted. “PEOPLE ARE FED UP!”
Cain is not on a ventilator and is doing well, his staff told Newsmax, the conservative news outlet where Cain has worked as a contributor since April.
A spokeswoman for Cain could not immediately be reached for comment.
Last month, Cain attended Trump’s much-hyped rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the kickoff event for the president’s reelection bid after the coronavirus pandemic forced him off the campaign trail for months.
Critics, including local public health officials, had urged Trump to postpone the rally, warning that hosting a large gathering of people could spread the disease.
Cain posted a photograph of himself at the June 20 rally sitting in close proximity to other attendees, none of whom appeared to be wearing masks, as many health officials currently advise … Read more.