Florida man who died after eating oysters had drugs in his system

Pinckney tested positive for cannabis, cocaine, fentanyl, oxycodone and opiates ...

FOX NEWS – A South Florida man, who died after eating raw oysters and became infected with a flesh-eating disease, had various drugs in his system at the time of his passing, including cocaine and fentanyl, a report says.

Roger Pinckney, a 44-year-old from Davie, died July 31 after a fever and abdominal pains hospitalized him for eight days following a meal he had at the Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale, NBC 6 reports, citing findings from the Broward County Medical Examiner.

“Over the course of 60 years, we have served a couple billion oysters, and we never had anyone get sick like this guy did,” Rustic Inn Crabhouse manager Gary Oreal told the South Florida SunSentinel, noting that Pinckney worked at the restaurant years ago.

Inspectors from the Florida Department of Health examined the restaurant’s kitchen and its oyster inventory the day after Pinckney became ill, Oreal told the newspaper.

“We passed with flying colors, and we were allowed to continue to sell oysters.”

“If there was a problem with the oyster bed we would know it because others would have gotten sick,” he said, adding the oysters being served currently are from Louisiana.

...article continued below
- Advertisement -

The medical examiner report said Pinckney tested positive for cannabis, cocaine, fentanyl, oxycodone and opiates after his death.

Pinckney also tested positive for Vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria found in warm seawater, according to NBC 6.

While hospitalized, Pinckney started experiencing necrotizing fasciitis — a flesh-eating disease — “due to the bacteria,” the medical examiner reportedly said.

Just before his death, Pinckney went into multi-organ failure and had been placed on continuous dialysis, NBC 6 also reported, citing the health findings … READ MORE.


- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -