Double fatal shooting in Brooklyn
112 injured or killed in 83 shootings over 9 days in NYC |
June 28, 2020 |
New York (1010 WINS) – A spike in gun violence has left over 100 people wounded or killed in dozens of shootings across New York City over the past nine days, police said Sunday.
There have been 112 victims in 83 shootings over a nine-day period ending Saturday, according to police.
Most of those shot were expected to survive, but at least six people have died in the past week and others suffered serious or critical injuries.
The NYPD on Sunday released this info detailing the nine-day stretch of shootings.
- Friday, 6/19 – 8 shooting incidents, 9 victims.
- Saturday, 6/20 -18 shooting incidents, 24 victims.
- Sunday, 6/21 – 2 shooting incidents, 5 victims.
- Monday, 6/22 – 11 shooting incidents, 17 victims.
- Tuesday, 6/23 – 10 shooting incidents, 10 victims.
- Wednesday, 6/24 – 3 shooting incidents, 5 victims.
- Thursday, 6/25 – 5 shooting incidents, 8 victims.
- Friday, 06/26 – 9 incidents, 10 victims.
- Saturday, 06/27 – 17 incidents, 24 victims.
The NYPD said there have been 503 shooting incidents with 605 victims this year as of Saturday.
Amid calls to defund the police ahead of the June 30 deadline for the city budget, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said last week that the city’s homicide rate had hit a 5-year high and that the criminal justice system was “imploding.” The number of people shot has risen 42 percent compared to last year.
Brooklyn community advocate Tony Herbert told 1010 WINS he’s anguished over the rise in violence.
“It has just been ridiculous how it has taken place, because we saw a serious decline over a five year period and we have working relationships to work with our police department with their community policing,” he said. “Now look at what we’re faced with. I have not seen anything like this in my entire life … ” Read more.