THE INDEPENDENT – President Donald Trump, the self-proclaimed “fertilization president,” has gutted a federal in vitro fertilization team as part of his mass firing spree at the Department of Health and Human Services.
The six epidemiologists, data analysts, and researchers who had their jobs axed Tuesday worked for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Assisted Reproductive Technology Surveillance System (ARTSS) and tracked the progress of IVF in the U.S.
Trump previously told NBC News that his administration would protect IVF access and would urge government or insurance companies to cover the cost of the service.
Drilling down on his commitment to IVF treatment, the president said, “I’ll be known as the fertilization president” while speaking at a Women’s History Month event in March.
In February, Trump signed an executive order aiming to reduce the costs of in vitro fertilization, a medical procedure that helps people facing infertility build their families.
“Thaw and dispose of embryos: In this disposition choice, the fertility lab removes embryos from the liquid nitrogen and allows the embryos to come to room temperature without a period of culture or any attempt to retain viability. The embryos are then discarded as medical waste.” – Loma Linda University Center for Fertility & IVF
“Americans need reliable access to IVF and more affordable treatment options, as the cost per cycle can range from $12,000 to $25,000,” the order said.
“Providing support, awareness, and access to affordable fertility treatments can help these families navigate their path to parenthood with hope and confidence … ”