Michelle Carter begins jail sentence in texting suicide case
| NECN – A woman who sent her suicidal boyfriend a barrage of text messages urging him to kill himself was jailed Monday on an involuntary manslaughter conviction nearly five years after he died in a truck filled with toxic gas.
Michelle Carter was sentenced to 15 months in jail in 2017 for her role in the death of Conrad Roy III, but the judge allowed her to remain free while she appealed.
Massachusetts’ highest court upheld her conviction last week, saying her actions caused Roy’s death …
After a judge ruled that she should start her sentence, Carter was taken into custody Monday …
“Today has been a long day coming,” said Maryclare Flynn, Bristol County assistant district attorney.
Roy’s aunt, Becky Maki, spoke on the family’s behalf:
“It’s been 4-1/2 years since Conrad passed. Our heart has been broken this whole time. It’s been hard to live out the details of his death over and over again. It’s something that hasn’t left our mind… I hope that no one else ever has to feel this pain. His life mattered. It mattered to us and I think it mattered to a lot of people. Conrad, we love you.”
Carter’s family had no comment after leaving court Monday.
Joe Cataldo, Carter’s attorney, said afterward that the “legal fight is not over.”
Carter was 17 when Roy, 18, took his own life in Fairhaven, a town on Massachusetts’ south coast in July 2014.
Her case garnered international attention and provided a disturbing look at teenage depression and suicide.
Daniel Marx, who argued the case before the Supreme Judicial Court, said last week that the court’s ruling “stretches the law to assign blame for a tragedy that was not a crime.”
“It has very troubling implications, for free speech, due process, and the exercise of prosecutorial discretion, that should concern us all,” he said. Read more.