NBC News | The United States has evacuated some Americans from its consulate in the Chinese city of Guangzhou after an employee was confirmed to be suffering symptoms consistent with the mysterious illness that led to the removal of more than half of the U.S. Embassy staff in Cuba, the State Department said Wednesday.
Heather Nauert, the State Department’s spokeswoman, said “several” consulate employees had returned to the United States from China for further evaluation after they were screened as part of a task force Secretary of State Mike Pompeo created last month.
The force is investigating reports of hearing, vision, balance and memory damage.
The medical screenings in China are continuing, Nauert said.
There are about 170 U.S. diplomats or employees and their families in Guangzhou.
Read the full story at NBC News.