Mom warns parents after 12-year-old daughter contracts flesh-eating bacteria at Florida beach
June 27, 2019
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — A 12-year-old Indiana girl who was vacationing with her family in Florida contracted rare flesh-eating bacteria.
CBS affiliate WKRG-TV reported the Brown family went to a beach in Destin earlier this month when Kylei fell drastically ill. [Destin is a shoreline community on the Florida panhandle, near Pensacola.]
After they arrived in Florida amid a few stormy days, authorities warned them and others that it was dangerous to go in — and only allowed people to go in knee-deep …
When they returned to Indianapolis, a doctor told Michelle to take her daughter to an emergency room. Once the girl took an MRI, doctors noticed an infection was “spreading and running pretty rapidly” through her body.
Kylei was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, a once rare flesh-eating disease.
Kylei is home now, but still faces more surgeries, treatments and physical therapy so she can walk again. Read more.
MORE OF TODAY’S TOP HEALTH NEWS: