How to Treat a Bee Sting at Home (and When to Go to the ER)

Bee stings can be life-threatening. Here’s what you need to know …

(NBC NEWS)

Most of us have probably been stung by a bee or a wasp, and while it can be pretty painful, bee stings are generally harmless.

Learn to tell a harmless bee sting from a life-threatening one. IMAGE: Photo by OpenClipart-Vectors (Pixabay)

That said, it is estimated that nearly two million Americans are allergic to bee stings.

WHEN TO TREAT A BEE STING AT HOME

  • The light swelling and redness are local to the sting.
  • There is no allergic reaction.

HOW TO TREAT A BEE STING AT HOME

Step 1: Remove the stinger as soon as possible with tweezers.
Step 2: Reduce reaction using an ice pack.
Step 3: Use antihistamine or calamine cream and oatmeal baths to reduce itching.
Step 4: Benadryl can reduce swelling in bigger reactions.

WHEN TO HEAD TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM

  • There’s any swelling in the face (especially if you were stung elsewhere).
  • There’s swelling in the lips, tongue, throat or eyes.

If you have any of the symptoms above, go to the ER immediately for professional treatment.

“You want to be concerned because it can get to the throat and cut off your breathing, which, of course, is life threatening,” says Dr. John Torres, NBC News Medical Correspondent. READ FULL POST AT NBC NEWS.

** MORE PRACTICAL SELF-CARE NEWS AT HEADLINEHEALTH.COM **