Two salon customers may owe their lives to a tip from their hairstylist …
(LAUREN CLARK, DAILY EXPRESS) Award-winning celebrity hairstylist Edward James is working to raise awareness about a lesser known health symptom that calls for a prompt medical examination.
With early diagnosis often key to successful treatment, he believes hairdressers are in a unique position to identify abnormal moles on their client’s scalps.
“After spotting a mole on two clients’ scalps which lead them to seek treatment, I realized that as hairdressers and beauticians we can help our clients to spot skin cancer signs and symptoms early,” he explained.
Their moles turned out to be malignant melanomas, the most aggressive and life-threatening type of skin cancer.
He recommends hairdressers follow the ABCDE rule when identifying moles on the scalp.
- Asymmetry – the two halves of the area may differ in shape
- Border – the edges of the area may be irregular or blurred, and sometimes show notches
- Color – this may be uneven. Different shades of black, brown and pink may be seen
- Diameter – most melanomas are at least 6mm in diameter. Report any change in size, shape or diameter to your doctor
- Expert – if in doubt, check it out! See a dermatologist, the most expert person to diagnose a skin cancer.