Florida Man Reports “A Lemon Inside My Butt Cheek”

Like other “Florida man” stories, this report can serve as a warning to others and help you avoid a dangerous and increasingly common infection.

Doctors need 6 days of surgery to remove a potentially deadly lump

| Fox News – A Florida man says a trip to the doctor for pain-relieving shots in his lower back and butt before heading to the Panhandle with his wife nearly cost him his life, after a life-threatening bacteria potentially entered his system through those needle punctures.

“They operated six days straight,” Mike O’Grady, 68, told ABC Action News.

“Six consecutive days, had surgeries to make sure they got everything out. It spread to my pelvis. They cut me from here to here, and they took my digestive system out and inspected it to make sure there was nothing necrotizing on it and then put it all back in.”

O’Grady said he spent two weeks at Citrus Memorial Hospital fighting necrotizing fasciitis after noticing the infection when he got back from his trip in late May.

“When it got to be like the size of a lemon inside one of my butt cheeks, it was a sign something wasn’t right,” he told ABC Action News. “I could feel this like an abscess type thing forming on my bottom … ” Read more. 

Flesh-Eating Bacteria Cases on the Rise in Gulf

Heading to the Gulf of Mexico? Here’s how to protect yourself

Weather.com – More than half a dozen cases of flesh-eating bacteria, including three that were fatal, have been linked to the Gulf of Mexico in the past several months.

The Gulf’s water and surrounding bays, warm and rich in nutrients, are perfect homes for bacteria that can cause necrotizing fasciitis, the formal name for flesh-eating bacteria.

With climate change warming the world’s oceans, these infections will become more frequent and be found in a wider range of places, the authors of a report in the Annals of Internal Medicine said.The culprit behind many of the cases is Vibrio vulnificus, a naturally occurring bacteria in warm, brackish seawater.

It can enter a person’s skin through a cut or a scrape. In healthy people, it typically causes a mild illness, according to the Florida Department of Health.

However, in people with weakened immune systems, Vibrio can lead to necrotizing fasciitis.

“Where you find it is in little breaks if people are nicking themselves while shaving, and if the bacteria is there it can take advantage of the opening. Mosquito bites. Minute abrasions can be a point of entry,” Dr. Gordon Dickinson, a staff physician at the Miami VA Healthcare System and professor of medicine at the University of Miami, told the Miami Herald.

In addition to entering through the skin, Vibrio vulnificus can infect people when they eat contaminated raw shellfish, particularly oysters.

The Florida Health Department reports there were 92 cases of Vibrio vulnificus infections in 2017 and 2018 in the state.

There were 20 deaths during that time. From 2008 through 2018, there were 108 deaths.

The CDC estimates that Vibrio vulnificus causes about 205 infections annually in the United States. About 1 in 7 people with a Vibrio vulnificus wound infection dies, according to the CDC. (Group A Streptococcus, the bacteria that causes strep throat, is the most common cause of necrotizing fasciitis …) Read more. 

MORE OF TODAY’S TOP HEALTH NEWS: