Legendary condiment may help guys ‘measure up’
(HEALTHLINE. COM) It’s a popular health food made from fermented apples. It’s used in pickles, salad dressings, marinades, and other recipes.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has been used as a home remedy for many common health conditions. Some have claimed that ACV can cure erectile dysfunction.
Is apple cider vinegar a proven ED remedy?
Erectile dysfunction (ED) happens when men cannot get or sustain erections for sexual intercourse. This is a common problem that happens for various reasons.
Common causes of erectile dysfunction include:
- heart disease
- relationship issues
- emotional distress (stress, anxiety, depression)
- substance abuse
- cancer and treatment side effects
Currently, no studies exist on how ACV directly affects ED. Some explored health benefits of ACV are blood glucose control, weight management, and heart disease prevention. The idea that apple cider vinegar can treat erectile dysfunction may come from the fact that it helps treat some of the causes of ED.
- Men who have type 2 diabetes are more likely to develop ED. One study showed ACV lowers blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Being overweight can also lead to erectile dysfunction. According to one study, ACV may help lower body weight and mass in people with obesity.
- Heart disease may also cause ED. One study showed that regular ACV use may lower blood lipid levels. Lowering lipid levels helps prevent heart disease.
- An animal study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry showed that ACV could help lower cholesterol. Lowering cholesterol can help prevent heart disease.
Still, apple cider vinegar is not known to cure any disease, nor is it a magic bullet for weight loss. Ultimately, more research is needed to understand its relationship with male sexual health.
How to use apple cider vinegar