Catholic hospital sued for denying “gender reassignment surgery”
| Christianity Daily – A Catholic hospital is facing a lawsuit on claims that a doctor there refused to conduct a hysterectomy for a transgender patient.
The lawsuit was filed against St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center, located in Paterson, NJ on January 5 in federal court.
Jionni Conforti, 33, whose biological sex is female but identifies as a man, said that the head nurse initially said that a hysterectomy can be performed there, but that a doctor and the director of missions at the hospital said one week later that they would not be able to perform the procedure.
[According to The Washington Times, Conforti’s surgery had been approved by Medicaid. – Ed.]
According to the lawsuit, Father Martin Rooney, the director of missions at St. Joseph’s, emailed Conforti saying:
“This is to follow up to your e-mail inquiring about scheduling a total hysterectomy here at St. Joseph’s to remove all female parts based on the medical necessity for Gender Reassignment. This is to inform you that as a Catholic Hospital we would not be able to allow your surgeon to schedule this surgery here at St. Joseph’s” … READ MORE.
RELATED: Trump Ripped By Transgender Lobby | Trump: Stop Pandering to “Transgender” Convicts | Trump’s New Rule: No “Transgender” Soldiers, Period
Additional coverage …
Jionni Conforti has sued his hospital after he said refused to perform a hysterectomy
JULIO CORTEZ/AP – TRENTON, N.J. — A transgender man [sic] sued a Roman Catholic hospital Thursday, saying it cited religion in refusing to allow his surgeon to perform a hysterectomy as part of his sex transition.
Jionni Conforti’s sex and gender discrimination lawsuit comes as new regulations hailed as groundbreaking anti-discrimination protections for transgender individuals are under legal attack from religious groups.
Conforti, 33, of Totowa, had scheduled the surgery at St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center in Paterson in 2015. But he alleges in the federal lawsuit that a hospital administrator then told him the procedure to remove his uterus couldn’t be done because it was a “Catholic hospital.”
“I felt completely disrespected,” said Conforti, whose transition began in 2004. “That’s not how any hospital should treat any person regardless of who they are. A hospital is a place where you should feel safe and taken care of. Instead, I felt like I was rejected and humiliated.”
A spokesman for the hospital said he hadn’t yet seen the lawsuit and wasn’t able to comment.
The lawsuit comes less than a week after a federal judge in Texas ordered a halt to new US Health and Human Services regulations that had been set to go into effect Jan. 1 to bar certain forms of transgender discrimination by doctors, hospitals and insurers.
Civil rights groups had hailed the new health rules as groundbreaking, but five states, a Christian medical association and an Indiana-based network of religious hospitals sued.
Judge Reed O’Connor ruled Saturday that religious hospitals would be forced to violate their religious beliefs or risk severe consequences if they didn’t change their policies.
Another legal challenge to regulations that Catholic hospitals say would force them to perform gender transitioning procedures and abortions was filed in federal court last week in North Dakota … READ MORE.