Killer virus escaped Africa – no vaccine, no cure
| Grand Rapids, MI (WOOD-TV) — A local resident has died from West Nile virus.
Officials say the man in his 80s had been hospitalized and died over the weekend.
The Michigan Department of Health previously reported one other West Nile death in the state this summer.
Statewide, at least eight people have been sickened by the mosquito-borne virus.
Officials earlier this month warned that West Nile virus would likely be prevalent this year, after an “unusually high” number of mosquitoes tested positive for the virus.
Additionally, 66 birds in 21 counties tested positive for the virus.
There is no vaccine or cure for West Nile virus.
Officials suggest these steps to protect yourself:
- Wear a mosquito repellant that contains DEET.
- Stay indoors during dusk.
- Remove standing water in your yard.
- Keep your lawn and shrubs cut.
- Wear light-colored clothing. Original source.