Man Swallows Gecko, Dies “In Absolute Agony”

“Distended stomach, black urine, green bile”

| Man who ate a gecko may have died from one of five leading invasive parasites spreading worldwide

| Candace Sutton, July 4, 2019

news.com.au – Queensland father David Dowell who died 10 days after swallowing a gecko may have died from a parasitic tapeworm common in Asian house geckos.

Doctors have told news.com.au Mr. Dowell’s symptoms — a distended stomach, black urine, and green bile — are more extreme than salmonella and evidence of an abdominal obstruction and liver failure.

And a taxonomist and ecologist who is an expert in Asian house gecko parasites says a tapeworm called Spirometra could be the culprit.

“Ten days is a very short time for a larval parasite inside the gecko to get into the intestine, attach and grow,” Diane Barton told news.com.au.

“But it would certainly be an Asian house gecko if he’s from Queensland.

“If it was full of parasites, most likely the gecko would have been relatively easy to catch.

“If you have a broom, you can knock them off the wall and then catch them as they fall.

It would have to have been packed with larval stages (of parasites), which might have been why it was so easy to catch.”

Mr Dowell died in “absolute agony” at the age of 34 in Brisbane’s Mater Hospital last December after eating a gecko as a dare at a pre-Christmas party.

Spirometra tapeworm is just one parasite inside Asian house geckos that Mr Dowell probably ate … Read more. 

Deadly Parasites At U.S. Border

By Robert Moore and Maria Sacchetti, July 2

Washington Post – A Guatemalan toddler who spent several days in Border Patrol custody this spring died of complications related to “multiple intestinal and respiratory infectious diseases,” according to an El Paso County medical examiner’s office report issued Tuesday.

Wilmer Josue Ramirez Vasquez, who was 2½ , died May 14 after several weeks in an El Paso hospital.

The medical examiner’s office said tests detected influenza, parasites, E. coli bacteria — which can cause a food-borne illness producing severe cramping, diarrhea and vomiting — and other pathogens in the child’s system. He died weeks after U.S. Customs and Border Protection released him and his mother from a hospital.

The autopsy report comes a day after congressional Democrats made a tumultuous visit to Border Patrol facilities in El Paso and Clint, Tex., and said they differed with Homeland Security and demonstrators over conditions inside …

Bert Johannsen, an El Paso pediatrician who has treated hundreds of migrant children, said the autopsy report showed that Wilmer had several parasites, spread through fecal-oral contact, that are common in Central America but not in the United States.

The parasites are treatable if diagnosed and treated quickly, Johannsen said, but he questions whether CBP’s contract health-care workers are looking for them when screening children at the border.

“If you bring me a kid from El Paso who has diarrhea, I’m thinking viral gastroenteritis. But if I get a kid from Guatemala I have to start thinking these other bacteria, parasites, cryptosporidium,” said Johannsen, who volunteers to care for migrant children at El Paso’s Annunciation House shelters. Read more. (Coverage continues below … )

MORE OF TODAY’S TOP HEALTH NEWS: 

Hair Transplant Industry Could Be Doomed

NY Supreme Court Soundly Rejects RFK Jr.’s Unscientific Anti-Vaxx Case

Deadly Ingredients They Don’t Tell You About in Baby Powder, Dog Food

“Gross And Dangerous” Sewer Failure Drives Suburbanites From Homes

5 Deadly Parasites That Have Gone Global

By Hany Elsheikha, Associate Professor of Parasitology, University of Nottingham (UK)

The Conversation – Global events such as climate change and international trade have caused a number of dangerous parasites to emerge in countries where they haven’t been found before. The parasites, which can invade and damage vital body organs such as the brain, range from one-celled organisms to relatively large tapeworms. Here are five that, though still thankfully rare, have made an appearance in new places.

1. Halicephalobus gingivalis

Halicephalobus gingivalis is a soil-borne, free-living nematode. This worm is generally harmless, but under certain conditions can infect humans and animals. H. gingivalis is now detected worldwide and has reportedly caused neurological disease in horses in countries including the UK, Japan, Canada, US, and Iceland.

Human infection is rare and only affects those with compromised immune systems (for example cancer or HIV/AIDS patients) but the outcome is always fatal meningo-encephalomyelitis – an inflammation of the brain, spinal cord, and their membranes. This was the cause of the tragic death of two patients who received infected kidneys in November 2014 in Wales.

H. gingivalis colonises its host in different ways, including through ingesting contaminated food or breaks in the skin and is usually only discovered after death.

2. Pork tapeworm: Taenia solium

Taenia solium, also known as the pork tapeworm, can cause epileptic seizures and other neurological problems in humans from ingesting eggs containing infective larvae. The breakdown of the egg’s shell occurs in the intestines, allowing the larvae to exit and enter the bloodstream. Once in the circulation, larvae may settle in many types of body tissues.

Sometimes larvae cross the blood-brain barrier and enter the central nervous system (CNS), where the embryos develop into fluid-filled cysts leading to a condition known as neurocysticercosis which results in seizures and is one of the most dangerous parasitic CNS infections worldwide. Diagnosis of neurocysticercosis is difficult due to the lack of specific clinical symptoms. The disease – which normally affects people in South America, Asia and sub-Saharan Africa – has been exceptionally rare in Western countries, however a few cases have been reported in the UK and the US.

3. Brain-eating amoeba: Naegleria fowleri

Naegleria fowleri – commonly known as brain-eating amoeba – is single-celled and free-living and thrives in warm bodies of water. This parasite can cause a rare brain infection called meningoencephalitis, which causes severe brain inflammation. The amoeba also causes a whole host of other neurological symptoms and has a fatality rate approaching 100%.

If water containing the amoeba enters the nose, the parasite can travel via the olfactory nerves, which are responsible for detecting odour molecules and transmitting them as signals to the brain. Initial symptoms appear in less than a week after infection and include fever, headache, nausea, stiffness in the neck, and vomiting.

As infection progresses patients develop lack of attention, loss of balance, seizures, hallucinations, and finally coma and death.

The parasite has been detected in South America and Asia but cases have also been reported in Australia, US and the UK.

Naegleria fowleri infection is diagnosed based on microscopic examination of the fluid present the central nervous system, where active amoebae may be detected.

Sappinia pedata, another free-living amoeba found in water was reported in a 38-year-old patient with neurological symptoms from Texas.

4. Hidden lung worm: Cryptostrongylus pulmoni

Rat lungworm is one of several horrific parasites to reach the U.S. due to human activity.

Hidden lungworm is a microscopic roundworm that can be found in the blood of its host. This parasite has been reported to secrete biological molecules which can damage brain functions.

Diagnosis is difficult due to the lack of specific clinical signs, especially when multiple organs are affected. Infection with C. pulmoni _is still hard to determine, and it is possible that certain parasite subtypes exist that are yet to be identified. One US study even linked _C. pulmoni with the development of chronic fatigue syndrome.

5. Spirometra erinaceieuropae

Spirometra erinaceieuropae is a rare species of tapeworm that spends part of its life in amphibians and crustaceans before moving on to cats and dogs in the final part of its life cycle.

Humans are considered an accidental host for this worm species and while living in a person, the parasite will not reach maturity. S. erinaceieuropae infections – known as sparganosis – are most likely to be imported from areas like China.

Some of us may have heard of the recent case of a British man who had headaches, seizures and memory loss for four years, which later was found to be caused by S. erinaceieuropae. This parasite has been reported only 300 times worldwide in the last half century and had never been seen in the UK before that case.

Infection is acquired by drinking water containing infected crustaceans, by ingesting raw infected reptiles or frogs or by using a raw frog poultice to cure sore eyes. Spirometra infections are characterised by the appearance of large nodules below the skin and swelling of the muscles which control eye movement.

Infection can also involve the brain and spinal cord. Diagnosis of infection is achieved by biopsy of the lesion, imaging and diagnostic methods.

While parasitic brain infections are not common they do occur and pose great diagnostic and therapeutic challenges.

Diseases caused by them should not be regarded as neglected or exotic, because human cases have recently reported and in countries with a high standard of comprehensive health and medical services.

Understanding host-parasite interaction is a fundamental step in the development interventions and treatments for these parasitic horrors.

Source. This article was originally published on The Conversation. Creative Commons license.